Tuesday, April 14, 2015

National Poetry Month - Day 13: Name Dropping

Name Dropping
A game of two truths and a lie

1.
Fifteen years--no, more--ago, I Googled Roger Ebert.
I found his email link, so I wrote to him
To ask him what his favorite search site was.
He replied that Metacrawler did the trick for him.

Oh, and please don't use this email link to contact me again.

2.
Quincy Jones once looked me right in the eyes.
This was not a good thing to happen.
I was standing in his way, and he has always been a man on the move.
And so, I got a look.
And not any kind of look.
If looks could kill, the look that Quincy Jones gave me that day
Could have sliced me into strips
Stamped on them
And sliced them up some more.
And this was Quincy Jones.

I kept a weather eye about me all that day, but no long knives disturbed me.

3.
My friends and I gave Neil Gaiman a book that we had written;
He sold us six copies of his latest;
He didn't have to pay for ours.
All four of us inscribed our books
Four names on several fly leaves.
Of course, we three were under no comforting illusion that our gesture changed his world
But Neil Gaiman gave a gift: A story of our own to tell.

But I still think that he read our book.
And liked my story best.


Note from the author:
If you want to know which of these three stories is the lie, seek me out and ask me. I promise I will tell the truth. Twice. And tell you what the lie is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment